Two rows of Melaleuca trees flank this drive through the center of the property. The entrance visible in the distance to the north was moved to this location from the southern end of the property line in the 1940s after the opening of the Sunrise Bridge. Melaleuca was introduced to Florida around 1900. The trees are now considered invasive exotics. They grow three to six feet per year, and the seeds remain viable for about ten years. The oils in the leaves enable hot crown fires in the Everglades, and they have displaced many native trees forming a mono-specific forest.
At the Tour sign, follow the path that goes up the hill at a slight angle, cutting through the Experimental Grove.