This area is known as the Allee. On both sides of the Allee lies the Bonnet Slough. This coastal freshwater marsh was once part of a coastal dune lake system that extended nearly six miles along the beach. This lagoon and Lake Helen in Birch State Park are all that remain of this system today, and they are fed solely by runoff from rain. Nineteenth century maps identified this water as “Bonnet Slough,” and the yellow-flowering lily that grows here came to be called the Bonnet Lily. Mr. Birch named the house after this flower. The story goes that as the alligators would come out of the water the lily pads bonneted their heads. In the early 1930s, Frederic Bartlett dredged the slough to create the present-day lagoon and ponds that provide food and habitat for fish, turtles, wading and other birds and aquatic animals.
The whimsical blue and yellow structure to the south is The Pavilion. It was designed by Frederic Bartlett for parties and was used by the Bartlett family for afternoon lounging, playing cards or visiting with friends. It was built in 1936. The mural on the rear wall is a reproduction of a painting Frederic painted to hang here. The original artwork is now displayed in the Studio of Bonnet House.
At the bottom of the Allee is the Dry Fountain. It was built in 1942 with materials Frederic recovered from a demolished estate in Palm Beach. The marble fountain is a dry fountain because it was never intended to supply water. Many weddings, photo shoots, movies and commercials have been shot on this site.
Turn to your left and continue into the Coastal Dune Hammock and primary dune.